Take a peek...

Life is a road.
It always has a beginning that never ends.
See the World as it is!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

At the Coffee Shop...


Sitting at the Coffee Shop. I see people. Probably students from private schools or from the establishments nearby. Or just some bystanders from somewhere else. But one thing is common in these people I see: Richness. You'll definitely be able to identify.. Oh, let me rephrase it. You can definitely identify these people as rich because of how they dress, how they talk, (when you try to eavesdrop, although eavesdropping is hardly necessary since they tend to talk loudly) or the way they look at you as if you're no better than them. And of course, the people here at the Coffee Shop (most of them, if not all, have their own laptops and using the shop's wi-fi).


Really, you'll never go wrong with these people especially if you came from the type of social status where I came from. What I'm trying to say is, if you try to stay in a coffee shop such as This and try to observe the people around you, you'll see what life shows you: that it is unfair. But is it? Is it really unfair?


When you first entered college, what is your first experience? Now, let me give you a scenario (because I'm sure, unless you write your own story, a simple and short statement will not be enough). You can try to put yourself in these two scenarios.


For example, you came from a rich family and you have all the means of entering and studying in a private school (say, La Salle or Ateneo) and buy everything you want (EVERYTHING!); or, what if fate has deprived you of wealth and you can hardly pay for your tuition fee. What do you think your experiences will be?


Probably, if you're the First Person, you'll be like the people I now see here at the Coffee Shop. If you're a rich kid, I'm quite sure you'll be speaking in English or in ST (Sossy Taglish). And of course, you'll also have your own laptop and expensive gadgets. You might even have a Blackberry or an iPhone4 or an iPad2. For sure you can pay your tuition fee on the exact date of enrollment or even in advance. You have a lot of money to go to a coffee shop like This or go to the mall and buy all the things you want to buy. (Am I exaggerating already? I guess not. Some can really be like the First Person anyway.)


So what if you're not like the First Person? What if you're the poor one? Probably you have to work to earn money for your tuition fee or probably you'll have to skip school and work to earn a living (Oooppss! I forgot. You're suppose to be a college student who is not rich. So let's stick to that.) So, you go to a State University with minimal tuition fee and yet you can barely pay for it. You still have to write promissory notes just so you can take your examinations. You don't have a Blackberry or an iPhone4 or an iPad2. You don't even have your own cellphone. You don't have your own laptop (probably not even a desktop) and you still have to go to computer shops for your school work. You speak Tagalog and you don't know how to speak in ST. Have you ever tried to go to a coffee shop like This? I guess not. Even if you want to, you'll probably think of saving your money than wasting it for pleasure.


So what's my point? Well, my point is, there are (according to our society), two types of social status: Rich and Poor. Yeah, they say there's still a Middle Class. But it's not what the society imposes. And that's not what I believe in.


I'm here at the same Coffee Shop where the Rich Kids go. But at the same time, I am writing this in a used notebook, using my over-used pen just like someone who can barely buy a new notebook and pen for herself. I do have a Blackberry but I don't have my own laptop. I don't have all the gadgets rich kids have. I can now pay for an expensive coffee but when I was a college student, I can barely buy my lunch. I have to work and study at the same time to finish my degree and help my family. And now that I was able to graduate from college, I have a job that can buy me clothes and foods I want. Sometimes just for pleasure.


You see, probably you started as poor or someone who has nothing but crumbs on her plate. (Oh, I'm exaggerating again. But it's true!) But you still have a choice of not following the status the society's imposing on you. You have the choice of not staying on That status. Basically, it starts with a CHOICE. So whether your life stays down or you pull yourself up, it's your choice. Whether you want to just be able to pass through the day or have some extra for some pleasure, it's your choice. Whether you will try and work as hard as you can for your own success or will settle for anything less, it's your choice. Everything is your choice. You decide for your future. So decide well.


Maybe next time you know, you'll probably be seating in the chair where I am seating right now, buying your own expensive coffee and have your own laptop, writing your own story.




Ciao! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment